Monday, March 28, 2011

Hanging in There

One down. Jayme had round one of chemo on Thursday. Had rough days Thursday and Friday, but started to feel a little better by Saturday. Experiencing some side effects, such as brief hand incoordination, tingling in hands and feet and constant borderline nausea. He has had to take more anti-nausea meds, so he is sleeping more than usual. He continues to take two chemo pills daily and we hope those side effects keep to a minimum. The good news is he was able to make it to his office today for several hours. I think it was hard for him, but so important to him that he is able to work.

Had a great weekend with all our kids, plus granddaughters Claire and Stella. Mostly just hung out watching basketball, fighting off our disbelief at the way the Jayhawk's season ended. So so sad. Caroline flew back to NY last night and Sam and Grace are back in Lawrence after a week of spring break in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Anna, Adam and the girls will drive back to Denver tomorrow and begin their preparations for their move th KC in July.

A huge thank you to my KC cousins, the Williams and Helfers, and soup nazi friend Jeff for the delicious food over the weekend. That was such a huge help with all the mouths we had to feed.

Enjoy the rest of the week and please keep those good vibes coming Jayme's way!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Getting Started

Jayme and I met with the nurse practitioner at the KC Cancer Center yesterday to find out the protocol for his chemo. We will see Dr Myron at 10:15 tomorrow and then Jayme will hang out for a few more hours and receive his first round. His "chemo cocktail" consists of 3 different kinds, two will be infused by IV tomorrow and the third is a pill taken daily for three weeks. He is scheduled to have chemo at the center every 3 weeks, up to 6-8 rounds. He will have labs drawn and see the oncologist weekly during this timetable.

He continues to amaze me with his focus on nutrition and exercise, and the most incredible attitude I have ever witnessed. He inspires me daily.

All the Findlay kids and grandkids will be here at some point this weekend and nothing makes us happier. Now if we could get a couple of Jayhawk victories, all would be good in the world!

Friday, March 18, 2011

Back in Shawnee

Finished our appointments late yesterday afternoon, so decided to head back home. Jayme is already back to work and I will be heading there soon, though I would much rather watch March Madness all day.

Met with an oncology nurse practitioner, the surgeon and Dr Alberts, a medical oncologist yesterday. They recommended the same treatment regimen as our KC oncologist. So, I have already shot off an email to Dr Myron to get Jayme started asap. They all believe that Jayme will respond well to the treatment since he had such a good result the first time around.

We are both so glad we made the trip. It helped to validate our own oncologist's recommendations and gave us hope as we begin the next phase.

Please keep those cares and prayers coming our amazing family and friends!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Arrived at destination

Many, many thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. And love all the blog comments, emails and texts. We are so blessed with all this love and support. Believe me, it is noticed and appreciated!

Arrived in Rochester around 8:30 this evening. Love our hotel, Townplace Suites by Marriott. We have a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen. which is great for Jayme's 6 meals a day. And I am thrilled that I spotted a Trader Joe's on our way into town.

Ready to get started tomorrow and get this show on the road. We are to check in at the Mayo at 9 am in the morning and find out our agenda for the next few days. Hopefully, we will be home by Friday evening in time to watch the Jayhawks.

Rock Chalk!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Back to Mayo Clinic

We are heading to Rochester, MN the afternoon of Tuesday, March 15th. Jayme is scheduled for lab work and a CT scan on March 16th and will meet with an oncologist and Dr Nichols, his surgeon from two years ago, on the 17th. After the appts with the docs and their review of all his test results, including those from from the KC Cancer Center, they will let us know if we need to extend our stay for more tests. Hopefully, at that point, they will be able to head us in some direction as far as treatment options and a timetable. At least we have a plan to get this battle started.