Monday, February 28, 2011

Not Much New

Finally received a call from Dr Nichols at the Mayo Clinic this afternoon. I gave him an update on Jayme over the past month and he referred me to an oncologist up there. The oncologist's office called an hour later and I gave them a thorough history on Jayme over the past two years. I was told they will review his case and call me within four business days to schedule an appointment. You can bet they will get a call from me on Wednesday.

She also said the earliest we would probably get in is the end of next week or the following week. Not fast enough for us, but I've learned that being proactive and patient go hand in hand during this process.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Change of Plans

Jayme and I were set on heading down to MD Anderson in Houston, but have since changed our course. Dr Myron, his oncologist, called me Wednesday am and we discussed our options for treatment. He informed me that he had researched clinical trials locally and in Houston, but Jayme does not qualify for any at this time. I let him know we are not ready to jump into a standard treatment here until we get a 2nd opinion and strengthen our knowledge base about what is out there for Jayme. Dr Myron concurred and after further discussion, we decided to go back to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. We need a place to start and we are both very comfortable starting at a place that we know.

Dr Myron made a call to the Mayo Clinic on Wednesday afternoon and left a message for Dr Nichols, Jayme's surgeon from two years ago. I found out today that he had been out of the country until last Monday night, so it may take a few more days to get things rolling. Hopefully we will have some news first of the week. Guess we just have to "hurry up and wait"!

Jayme is doing well, working full time and maintaining an amazing attitude. And, we are both overjoyed that Anna and Adam and granddaughters Claire and Stella are moving to KC in July! Anyone know of a couple of jobs for a couple of great teachers?

Enjoy the weekend.


Monday, February 21, 2011

Moving Forward

It is my opinion that Dr's offices take way too long in "getting back to you". So I called the KC Cancer Center today to see if the test results we were waiting for were in. Just so happened they said they received them this afternoon. Coincidence? I think not.

We were hoping the test showed that Jayme's original 2009 biopsy contained a gene called Her2. If it did, then he could be treated with an antibody drug called Herceptin along with the chemo. In theory, the cancer responds better to the duo treatment. Unfortunately, the test for the gene was negative, but they will repeat the test to be certain.

In the meantime, Jayme and I think it would be best to go to the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston for treatment options, hopefully find a clinical trial. I did a self referral for him on-line last night and we should hear from them within the next 24 hours. Hopefully, we can get an appointment in the next few weeks and get this thing going!

As always, we feel blessed to have such an awesome support system. Thanks for the emails, cards, calls, texts and comments. It does make a difference!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another Fight to Fight

Although I found writing on this blog helpful when Jayme battled esophageal cancer in 2009, I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to get my "therapy" through blogging again.

No such luck.

Jayme has been diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer, this time it chose to settle in his right lung. In November he had a PET scan and it showed a very small area in the lung that concerned the oncologist. They did another scan on February 1st and it showed it had grown enough to biopsy, which he had last week. We met with Dr Myron today to find out the results. It is the same kind of cancer he had before, adenocarcinoma. The Cancer Center is performing another test, then we will discuss the best options for treatment, most likely chemo. At this point, surgery and radiation are not options. The oncologist is also looking into clinical trials here and elsewhere. So, we won't know much more for 7-10 days.

In the meantime, we ask for your prayers and positive vibes. Jayme has started this fight with an incredible and contagious positive attitude. He has already made me feel better. I think it is suppose to be the other way around!
I will post again as soon as I know our next course of action.

Peace and gratitude,