Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Good and Busy Day

Funny how the smallest things are so significant these days. Jayme ate five bites of mashed potatoes and three bites of chocolate pudding this afternoon. And I was cheering! He commented that that was the first time since early January that food has gone down without too much difficulty. You can imagine his fearfulness since he has had several episodes of choking since last fall. They have progressed him from a clear liquid to a soft diet. They thought he will tolerate soft foods better. And they were right.

They also removed chest tube #2, IV fluids and catheter today. Tomorrow they will take out his last chest tube and drain. The only thing left will be his feeding tube, which he will have for another 4-6 weeks, depending on caloric intake.

We both had educational sessions from the dietician and respiratory therapist. Lots of new information to study. He will need to eat small and frequent meals and lay off the sugar. As a matter of fact, the dietician suggests everyone should eat like that. Maybe I'll give it a try.

The plan is to leave Rochester Friday by late morning. I want to pick him up and head home instead of staying in a hotel Friday night. It will be a longer trek since I have been instructed to stop every 1-1 1/2 hours and have him get out of the car and walk and stretch. Believe me, that will not be an easy task.

I miss my family, friends and Reesing (the dog) and look forward to getting back to Kansas. And excited to go out and watch those Royals!

6 comments:

  1. Love hearing good news. it's 5am and I am wraping up my paper work getting ready to go home and have my 4 days off, sadly I only get 4 days off each week, can't wait to retire. I wish you luck in your trip home, I know your spirts will be high. I also have gone to 4-5 small meals a day on advice of a dietician here with mostly fruits/veg,beans,rice and a little meat and alot of water. Sadly my well pump died and I must drink the water I make at work. Sorry to run on just glad to get good news, Love #6

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOO HOOO!!! Awesome news! Know that Jayme is so glad to be rid of all those tubes & can only imagine how ready you both must be to be headed home. As Dorothy says "There's no place like home!" Safe travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Houston the film director was asked about his longevity and what he contributed it to. He replied, "surgery"

    I'll never forget my Grandfather's Indian skull. The Indian apparently died from an abscessed tooth at the age of thirty five or so. No pliers...

    Way to go Jayme, and I like the sugar comment. I wish I could convince the family here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay and Jayme,

    I am so glad to hear that the kids have been such a help to you. As you know, we often discussed why in the hell we had them. I guess they're not so bad after all.

    Frank and Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a comment.
    Whenever I post a comment, this site asks me to do a "word verification." I think it is an antispam effort of some kind. Why cant they use actual words? What in the hell is a "comylli?"

    Safe travels you two.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things are progressing well. Guess I shouldn't be surprised you named your dog Reesing. I can't wait to see Reesing (the quarterback)this fall!

    Have a safe trip home.

    Mike D.

    ReplyDelete